The 2020 Ford F-150 is known for its dependability and, with the right configuration, can tow up to 13,200 lbs. Alongside best in class payload and a myriad of tow assist technologies (such as FX4 and Max Trailer Tow packages), this truck truly provides on option for every occasion
Towing capacity is partly determined by which engine is driving the truck. There are Six engine options for the 2020 F-150, and each provides its own unique blend of power, responsiveness, and fuel economy. Because of this, each has its own unique maximum payload, and towing capacity. If you’d like more information on the engines themselves, please follow the link below to our F150 engine breakdown.
The table below lists the maximum towing capacity and payload that each engine would capable of. For more information specific to payload, please visist our payload page by following the link below.
(max ratings below may require additional equipment, specific configuration, or packages not listed)
(1) Raptor model only
(2) Limited model only
There are many additional factors that influence the ability to tow; the axle ratio, vehicle curb weight, option weight, payload weight, loaded trailer weight, and even the passenger weights all make a difference.
The GCWR (gross combined weight ratio) is the maximum allowable weight limit of all the factors above, determined by the manufacturer. The chart below details information on conventional towing. The table below displays values for conventional towing only; for more information on fifth wheel towing, please follow the link below.
Towing capability will be reduced based on trim series, option content, and payload
Note: Maximum loaded trailer weight requires weight-distributing hitch
(1) Requires 2.7L Ecoboost ® Payload Package
(2) Limited model only
(3) Requires Max Trailer Tow Package
(4) Requires Heavy-Duty Payload Package
(5) Includes 18" tires and wheels
(6) Raptor model only
(7) 134.2" wheelbase
(8) Requires 20" tires and wheels
(9) 146" wheelbase
• Calculated with SAE J2807® method
• Do not exceed trailer weight of 5,000 lbs. when towing with bumber only
• Trailer tongue load weight should be 10% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Additiion of trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR of GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label
Maximum payload and towing capabilities are for properly equipped base vehicles with required equipment and a 150-lb. driver and may vary based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories and number of passengers. See label on door jamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. Horsepower, torque, payload and towing are independent attributes and may not be achieved simultaneously
To view the 2020 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide (or the tow guide for any other year) in its entirety, or to view the F150's; please click one of the links below.